Friday, March 23, 2012

Nerdrodite Loves Her Wine

I have never considered myself a blend gal when it comes to wines, especially since I tend to shy away from coveted Bordeaux Blends, but after trying a couple red Meritage blends, one delicious one in particular at a chain restaurant in Boston's Back Bay, I'm hooked.

Maggiano's has a 2009 Hayman and Hill Meritage from Monterrey, California that is simply delicious. This tasty libation is a blend of 48% Merlot, 31% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Malbec, 5% Petit Verdot, and 1% Cabernet Franc.

This tasty ruby-colored wine has a nice berry quality to it. Velvet berries is probably a better description of how if feels on the palette. I'm not a big fan of wines with strong tongue-drying astringency, and this Meritage's winemakers went pretty easy on the tannins, which I respect. I know, I know, tannins help preserve a wine so it can age, but a tongue-mummifying wine just doesn't do it for me.

I highly recommend the 2009 Hayman and Hill Meritage to winos who think a chain restaurant can't possibly have a great wine list, because this will change your mind, at least it did for me. This is also a must try for all you wine drinkers who dislike reds for whatever reasons (too astringent, dry, peppery...teeth-staining, etc).

So, the next time you're in the Back Bay, pop into Maggiano's for a relaxing glass. Tell 'em Nerdrodite sent ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment