Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Set Up

"I'm taking my girlfriend out to dinner. To a place on Newbury Street," my favorite cashier at the Dunks near my office announced the Friday of Valentine's Day weekend.

Wow, a 19-year-old taking his girlfriend to a place on Newbury street? This kid's smooth. I couldn't even get my ex to kick in when I had to buy the Plan B pill because of a mistake on his part. Yes, his part. Ms. Dunks Boy is a lucky girl!

"That's so cute!" I say, and I really do mean it. This kid's a total sweetheart, and I bet they're the cutest couple ever.

He hands me my large iced tea with 2 lemons and 5 splendas. "You doing anything for Valentine's Day?"

"Nah," I say waving him off.  "I don't have a valentine this year. I'm hanging out with some friends. You know, keeping it low key."

His eyes widen and he looks over toward his manager. "Hey, Lance, she doesn't have a valentine. Neither do you, right?"

My own eyes widen, but in horror. Oh jeez. I kind of wish my iced tea was an iced wine.

The manager looks at Dunks Boy and then at me. "No I don't have a valentine."

On that note..."You guys have a lovely weekend," I shout in a puberty-ish voice. And, I bust out of there as fast as I possibly can while trying not to knock down any of the other people in line.

Laughter bursts out of me as soon as I'm far enough away. Wow. I did't know whether to be mortified or extremely flattered. The kid was obviously looking out for me, but at the same time, I kind of wanted to die a little bit. What about flattafied?

No comments:

Post a Comment